Imagine you’ve been working with your therapist – be it massage, physio, yoga or otherwise – and you’ve been incorporating movement into your treatment plan.
3 Reasons I Love a Micro Practice
I LOVE micro practice! A quick little interlude in my day, and then I carry on...
In all honesty, even as a yoga teacher/yoga therapist, it’s not very often that I pull out my mat and do a fully committed yoga practice for an hour. You’re more likely to find me doing 2-5 minute practices throughout the day.
- On a blanket on the floor while I watch a show
- At the kitchen counter while I wait for a timer
- When I’m hanging out in the yard while my cat explores
- When I’ve been sitting in a chair for a while, and will be there a while longer
Whether it’s one movement pattern I repeat a few times, or a short series of a different things – they’re quick, easy, and done in a flash!
Here are the top three reasons I LOVE them, and why you should give them a try!
- You can actually fit intentional movement into your day more than once!
- Practising multiple times means repetition and frequency, which is key for establishing new habits and patterns.
- Since the practices you DO fit in are short, you’re less likely to get bored, distracted, fatigued or ‘lazy’. And while repetition and regularity are important, good quality repetition and regularity will get you to your goals even faster.
Beyond a few minutes of a chosen movement however, another practice I fit into my day is simply noticing how I’m moving and what I’m feeling in my body during any other regular daily task.
- Walking from my car
- Carrying groceries
- Wiping a counter
- Getting in and out of a chair
This means I’m not adding another thing to what I would already be doing, but I’m being mindful about how I move and how it feels. It gives me the opportunity to notice where I do a lot of repetitive motions, when my body starts to fatigue, or any other signals my system may be giving me as feedback.
So don’t kick yourself if you can’t carve an hour out of your day! Just do what you can in the little moment where you might normally find yourself scrolling on your phone.
Even as a person who loves yoga, I much prefer to make my day a movement practice, rather than trying to squeeze a movement practice into my day.
What can you turn into a micro practice today?
Share This Post
Follow Us On
More To Explore
I LOVE micro practice! A quick little interlude in my day, and then I carry on… In all honesty, even as a yoga teacher/yoga therapist,
It’s not your typical yoga class… When most people think of ‘yoga’, there’s a pretty common image that comes to mind; a group of people